2/25/2008

China on My Mind: Ian Hacking on the 1989 Demonstrations

In their coverage of the 1989 student demonstrations, foreign and domestic media focused almost exclusively on the demonstrations in Beijing. However, sympathetic students and workers protested and marched across China in May and June 1989, and there has been little coverage or scholarship written about the shape and scope of those events. In the spring and early summer of 1989, professor and philosopher Ian Hacking was teaching in Wuhan and Lanzhou. In this installation of the audio feature, "China on My Mind," China Beat contributor Tom Mullaney chats with Hacking about what he saw during this critical moment in Chinese history. (Users who have trouble with the interface can follow this link directly to the audio file at imeem.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

help! I was able to access it a few days ago. why the audio file disappeared. I want to introduce it to a few Chinese forums.

The China Beat said...

Hm. I'm not having trouble accessing it from here. You could try visiting the website that is hosting the audio file directly: http://profile.imeem.com/kC2iD51/music/9qw4Vv-z/china_mullaney_feb2008mp3/

Let me know if you are still having trouble (and specifically what is wrong--the player isn't showing up, it isn't playing, etc.) and I'll see if I can work it out.

--Kate

Anonymous said...

OK, it is fine now! When I accessed it a few days ago, the player did not show up. But it is fine now. Thanks! This interview is GREAT!